Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Today Is: "Only in Texas" Day




"The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." – Rilke

"If you work really hard and your kind, amazing things will happen." -- Conan O'Brian

"Only in Texas!" I hear the man nearby casually say to his companion. It's a phrase I've heard thrown around a couple times before but this is the first time that I've got to experience what is meant by that first hand. There are some things down here that catch you by surprise and I'm starting to realize why that term was invented and in my short time here I've experienced something that I can say happened, "Only in Texas". Tonight I found myself holed up in a corner sitting candlelight at the Roaring Fork in Austin and instead of inviting the nice gentlemen next to me to engage in conversation, I have found myself nose deep in the pages of my journal (hmmm... is this why I'm still single?) I'm writing frantically; my mind seems to be moving much faster than my hand as my thoughts begin to spill out of my head like alphabet soup; each word seems to fall perfectly into it's sacredly delicious place.
This is one of those moments; do you know the kind of moments that I am talking about? The type of moments that come barreling in unannounced taking you completely by surprise. These type of moments literally take your breath away even if only for a brief second so you can truly begin to understand the significance of such a piece of time. At these moments you have these feelings, this special feeling; a feeling that your life is not going to be what you knew it was yesterday nor what you are expecting of tomorrow. I guess that is what such moments in life are all about... the magic.
I must be honest, I was unable to describe fully what these moments are like, for this is unfamiliar territory for me and I'm still learning to grasp the concept of what is that I am experiencing. It's something unknown, unexplored, and yet unbelievable. But this I know for sure; it is unlike any other feelings that I've been blessed to experience and feel like it is the beginning of something I will not be fully able to grasp until many moments later. It is a glimpse of what is to come and I get the feeling that this is the beginning of greatness.
As I sit here and sip my glass of wine, I embrace the moment for what it is and all its unknown possibilities. It's as if there is this magical sensation that I can feel as it tickles my insides, it creates that flutter of butterflies like you feel after experiencing something scary yet exhilarating. This is one of those moments that I'll look back on later in life and I'll have to tell myself, 'I told you so!'I guess that is why special moments are considered special; they make you feel like if it wasn't for this moment your life would be different, you would be different.
I've made my way to a nearby coffee shop (as this seems to be where I am most home and feel most alive to create) I sit here and I welcome the sights and sounds of my surroundings and I drink in the delicious aromas from the latte that steams before me. Just as I am about to indulge in my favorite after dinner delight I am greeted with this thought...

You are who you are for a reason. Embrace the moment and run with the purpose that has been dropped upon your lap. Don't ever look back, don't question why nor ever disbelieve in yourself; just jump and spread your wings knowing that He has designed you to fly.

"Mtu hujua atokao, hajui aendako" -- Swahili Proverb
"One knows where they are coming from, not where they are going."

"The universe is always speaking to us... Sending us little messages, causing coincidences and serendipity's, reminding us to stop, to look around, to believe in something else, something more." -- Nancy Thayer

2 comments:

jdawk said...

LOVE that last line you wrote--"just jump and spread your wings knowing that He has designed you to fly", I think we all need a little reminder of this amap (as much as possible)...thanks for being my reminder! What a great revelation you came to!

Unknown said...

Thanks buddy! I'm so glad that you were struck by this chord. I know that I could use this reminder on a daily basis...