Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Today Is: Life's Little Checklist Day

"It is in all of us to defy expectations
To go into to the world and to be brave
and to want, to need, to hunger for adventures
to embrace change and chance and risk
so that we may breathe
and know what it is to be free." -- Mae Chevrette

The first night I stayed in my hotel I went down to the "lobby bar, right in the lobby" and watched the Monday Night Football game. The bartender was very cordial and sat and talked with me for much of the evening as I inquired about all the hot spots around town. He told me about this swanky movie theater where you sit in leather seats, recline and relax, while sipping on wine and indulging in excellent food all while watching your movie. Intrigued I went and checked it out tonight; even though I told myself I would never go to a movie alone again (read previous post; Today Is: What Rules? Day). Just as he described...

As the lights went down and the volume went up I snuggled into my seat ready for the show to begin. In the opening scene it was stated as a mother you never get a full night’s sleep because as you lay in bed you are creating "The List" of to-do's for the day; I would argue that all women have this problem. I know for myself I tend to create this list of "Get To-Do's" often but just as often it seems that I never get around to doing many of the items. I of course get the necessities done like do laundry, go to the store, pay bills etc...But too often I find that the items that are disregarded are the items that should be placed on the "Must get done" list as they are the items that are truly important. After the movie ended I continued thinking about my long-forgotten list of “Get-to-do’s” that still had not gotten done. So below, I share with you in My Life’s Little Checklist and I challenge you to do the same. As I’ve mentioned many times before, life is too short and we never have time to do all that we hoped to get done, so stop waiting and start checking... There is no better time than now!

• Pursue my writing dream of one day becoming a published well-known
author
• Make a positive impact on the world
• Inspire someone
• Change someone’s life for the better
• Fall in love and get married
• Have children
• Start my own business
• Make i have. i give. a success
• Take photos
• Teach acceptance
• Meet Shannon Sharpe
• Buy a house
• Get a dog
• Run a 10k (again)
• Take my dad to the Superbowl or the Pro Bowl (if it’s in Hawaii)
• Go to Africa
• Get baptized (again)
• Have my own library
• Meet Oprah
• Write for a sports column (at least once)
• Visit all 50 states and travel the world
• Learn something new every day
• Witness something magical
• Win a championship as the coach of a team
• Buy my parents a house

P.S. There is no photo for today because I forgot to pack the charger for my camera and I was going to buy a new one so I could ensure that I got some photos but I never got around to checking it off my list.

“The very idea will seem impossible… almost. That ‘almost’ will tickle the edges of your consciousness, tempting you to believe that somehow, someway, your dream may fall just inside the realm of probability.” – Martha Beck

“If I were to wish for anything, I should not wish for wealth and power, but for the passionate sense of the potential, for the eye which every young and ardent, sees the possible. What wine is so sparkling, so fragrant, so intoxicating, as possibility?” – Soren Kierkegaard

No comments: