Friday, September 16, 2011

Today Is: Serendipity Day



“I remind myself every morning: Nothing I say this day will teach me anything. So if I’m going to learn, I must do it by listening.” – Larry King




“There once was an owl who sat in an oak, the more it heard, the less it spoke… the less it spoke, the more it heard.” – Gentlehawk

As they took their seats next to me in Row 31 I had no idea the impact they were going to make on me. We exchanged hellos but immediately reverted back to what we were doing just moments before. Shortly after we got into the air I noticed she kept glancing down at my notebook and the words that filled the page, “It’s great to see someone actually writing with pen and paper.” she said. I smiled at her with my liver and said, “It’s a dying art isn’t it.”

And from there it began.

Both Becky and her mom (whose name I shamelessly have forgotten) were seated next to me in 31D & 31E and we became instant friends as we all shared in the love of the written word. I showed them one of my notebooks of quotes that I was toting around and Becky said, “Hmmm… what quote could we give her mom?” It was like they knew that I needed a way to always be reminded of them and this treasured travel experience. After some quote contemplation Becky said, “Maybe we’ll just have to make one up.” At this moment I was so grateful that I chose to keep my headphones stored away and allow for the unexpected possibility that a stranger sit beside me and inspire me in ways unknown.

We began chatting and they asked what had brought me out to Michigan, “Business” I replied. This was proceeded with, “What do you do?” I told them and then it spilled out, “It’s not my dream job.” At which Becky then inquired, “What’s your dream job then?” “Writing,” I said without hesitation. They both looked at me with that ‘well what are you waiting for’ look (or so that’s what I think that was) and they said, “We hope to one day write a children’s book together.”

SERENDIPITY: the faculty of making fortunate discoveries by accident

God places people in our lives
At different times and different seasons
Often times we don’t know why
We haven’t had enough time to live into the reason.
Some we recognize immediately as they teach us a valuable lesson
And some it takes a little while longer to understand the hidden blessing.
No matter the setting, the time or the place
Someday may we be grateful for those people who stood inside our living space.

I know that both Becky and her mom were placed alongside me not only on the plane but also alongside me on my journey for a reason I’m not sure I yet understand. But I do know that someday I’ll live into that moment of understanding and when I do, I hope that I am reminded of this quote that Becky’s mother shared with me, “I’ll note you in my book of memory.” – William Shakespeare

Need I say more…

“…where you feel compelled to remember experiences by buying mementos, restrain. Instead, seek to internalize the beauty of the moments you want to remember so they are a part of you, not an add-on to you.” – Patti Digh “Creative is a Verb”

“Memory is a child walking along a seashore. You can tell what small pebble it will pick up and store away among its treasured things.” – Pierce Harris

“I believe now that God shows up in many ways and in different forms. Through different teachings he illuminates our hearts, provides guidance and reveals truth in ways that only we can realize or take in, depending on where we are at in our lives at various times.” – Elizabeth Gilbert

No comments: