Monday, September 5, 2011

Today Is: Walk Don't Run Day















"...every day, live the day, and enjoy the day. Don't be anxious about, 'Is this gonna happen or is that gonna happen?' Walk through your day -- dont' run."
-- Annie Murphy as told to Susan Casey - O Magazine

I can hear still hear their voices and the sounds of the lifeguards whistles when they would scream "Walk please!" as I scurried from one side of the pool grounds to the other in desperation. I didn't want to miss out on anything, and I knew the only way to ensure that I wouldn't was to get there as quick as I possibly could, by running. This seems to be a practice that I still tend to do today; rush past things in my life to ensure that I get everything done and don't miss out on anything. Little did I know then, and something that I am still learning now, the more I move quickly through my day-to-day the more I lose enjoyment in my life. Too often I hurry my way through the day and miss out on life's little enjoyments. Many times I don't take the time to do things that challenge me or are out of my comfort zone becuase I can categorize it as not having enough time for that. When I read the quote by Annie Murphy it hit me that I need to slow down and really enjoy parts of my life that cannot be enjoyed in the fast lane. One of those joys is spending time with friends, no matter the activity that fills up our time. Today, my AHA moment came to me while golfing! 18 holes of pretty bad golf and four hours later, I still found myself smiling with the great joy of spending time with quality friends and sharing in life's little joys like laughter! Lord knows we had a lot of laughs! (as you can see from the pics)

"Today I will live in such a manner that there will be no possible room for regret.
Then I'll do the same tomorrow." -- Steve Maraboli

"...no part of the journey is wasted. Once you recognize within yourself a hunger for something beyond just continuing, once you taste even the possibility of touching the meaning enfolded in your life, you can never be completely content with just going through the motions." -- Oriah "The Invitation"

No comments: