Friday, September 9, 2011

Today Is: Life is All About Celebrating Day








“Your age tells me how long you have lasted but not what you have made of the precious time you have been given.” – Oriah “The Invitation”

“I know for sure that only by owning who and what you are, can you step into the fullness of life.
Every year should teach you something valuable, whether you get the lesson is up to you. Every year brings you closer to expressing your whole and healed self. I celebrate that. Honor it. Hold it in reverence. And I’m grateful for every age I’m blessed to become.” – Oprah

I once read a story about a woman who knew she was dying. As she prepared for her final days she told a dear friend after she passed to bury her with a fork in hand. “Why?” her friend questioned. “You must always keep your fork, because the best is yet to come,” she replied. I have never forgotten that story, or the meaning behind those six words “THE BEST IS YET TO COME”. Today I am fortunate enough to celebrate the birth of a dear friend of mine, Ashley! Today Ashley turns 25! Amidst all the hoopla and excitement around this special lady, I am reminded of the most wonderful gift of birthdays; birthdays are not only about celebrating the day of birth but also about celebrating the days of our lives and with each year that passes our lives continue to get better! I not only celebrate Ashley and the wonderful woman that she is, but I also celebrate the many memories that we have shared together and anticipate the celebration of many more, for THE BEST IS YET TO COME!!

“Grow old with me! The best is yet to be.” – Robert Browning

“I will not die an unlived life… I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me… I choose to risk my significance.” – Dawna Markova
“My time here is not unlimited – added urgency to the realization that I had many more unfinished questions to address and much to do before resting… those who stop their questioning—cut short their explorations and end up with permanently unfinished lives. To lose interest in life – to retreat from being totally alive and totally engaged in the worlds within and outside ourselves is a tragic plight in my eyes, yet one easily remedied whenever we muster the willingness to bear up to our thorniest questions.” – Sidney Poitier “Life Beyond Measure”

No comments: