Friday, September 23, 2011

Today Is: Caught My Eye Day

“Just when we think we’ve figured things out, the universe throws us a curve ball. So we have to improvise. We find happiness in the unexpected places, we find our way back to the things that matter the most. The universe is funny that way, sometimes it just has a way of making sure we wind up exactly where we belong.” – Greys Anatomy

Today concluded my final day in Austin and although I’ve more than enjoyed my stay here in the city of live music, I am happy to be on the plane heading home as I’m ready to get back to my place of comfort and casualness. Since today was my last day here I wanted to take full advantage of any free time I had before I had to head over to the airport. So in this spirit I made one final stop at a “must see” part of Austin. As I was driving in to downtown (a part I had yet to explore) I soaked in my surroundings; the modern architectural buildings, the busyness of the streets and the beautiful river and park that lay to the north of it all. I parked my car and strolled over to a shop that caught my eye as I passed by. “The Paper Place” was where I found myself which was the perfect place for me. This little shop was overwhelmed with monstrous amounts of paper, and I’m not talking just any kind of paper; no, I’m talking about the too nice to be paper, paper! As I walked through the forested isles of paper I stumbled upon books, knick knacks and a plethora of cards; like I said, the perfect place for me. After careful consideration I had found just the right items, walked up to the counter and the lady rung up my purchases as we discussed the beautiful day. I told her that I was visiting from Colorado and had heard that there was quite an amazing bookstore nearby… “Oh, Book People” she said with enthusiasm. “Sure it’s just right around the corner. Walk to the window with me and I’ll show you.” Sure enough, it was literally just around the corner however when I walked in I was hit with disappointment. (It was a replication of the Tattered Cover Bookstore) As I thought about the recommendation given to me by my newest bartender friend I questioned what it was that he considered this a “must see” attraction; at a loss for the answer I rounded the corner, the exit in clear view but as I made my way to the sliding doors something caught my eye. It was a beautiful necklace in the shape of a small pea pod and nestled deep inside it were two small peas. (I understand this sounds a bit strange; I mean when has anyone ever described peas as beautiful) but there was something about this necklace that I just couldn’t turn away from. A nearby worker must have seen my sudden affixation at the glass case as he came rushing over to ask if I would like to look at anything? “The necklace with the two peas in a pod” I said. He smiled, unlocked the glass door and handed me the small box that the necklace was resting in. “It’s beautiful!” he said. My thoughts exactly and with that he had sold me. There was something about this necklace that had me googly eyed and a little flutter hearted. As I walked out of the store, my recent purchase stowed away in my purse, I made my way back up the street satisfied that I saw Book People and now grateful for my bartender friend’s direction to this “must see”. Just as I was about to get into my car another thing caught my eye… A quote wall. Of course I had to stop and take some pictures however just at this moment I am reminded that my camera battery is dead; how will I be able to capture this sight stopping attraction? I pull out my camera in hopes that it’s got a pinch of juice left to at least capture one photo and sure enough… I think it lasted long enough to get three. As I went to zoom in on one of the images upon the wall, small text in the bottom corner of the camera screen flashed “battery pack needs change” and immediately followed with a black screen. I knew that my photo capabilities were shot for the remainder of the day. Although I was thankful it was the end of my trip I still cursed myself as I made my way back to my rental, wishing I would have prepared and packed my charger but then I had this thought…
In an attempt to see all the attractions and the “must sees” by capturing it all on camera, somehow it takes a piece of your experience away as you are unable to let the things you weren’t expecting, the stuff you were not searching for, to find you in the most sacred place, at a very special time, at the most perfect moment. If you’re too focused on finding the perfect moment, you’re unable to allow other unknown moments to catch your eye and move your soul to dance.

P.S. Just as I was writing my final thoughts the captain came over the speaker system and told us to look out the windows on the left side of the plane (the side I happen to be sitting) and to our amazement there was this breathtaking glowing orange and yellow sunset; yet another thing that just happened to unexpectedly catch my eye.

My newest airplane companion, Kavya, seated next to me in B14 leaned over to capture this picturesque moment, “Would you like me to take one with you?” she kindly asked. I hesitated but said, “Oh what the heck, I’ll post it to my blog.” Thanks Kavya, I hope you’re reading this!

“… just an ounce of the unexpected can have a tremendous effect…” – Bryan Cranston

“Play! Big breakthroughs happen when open to possibility.” – Suzanne Lee

No comments: