Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Today Is: Don't Stop Believing

“Curiosity takes courage.
The most important promises are the ones you make to yourself.
Pay attention.
Appreciate. Listen. Imagine.” – Mary Anne Radmacher

“You are always only one choice away from changing your life.” – Mac Anderson

Ever wondered what you were gonna be when you grew up? An actress, a nurse, a teacher, a mom? I used to dream about being things I never was and believing that one day that’s what I would become. (I’ll make mention that a few of the careers on my dream list are things that I would never dream about today) What happened to those days that we thought like children; believing that anything we put our minds to was achievable no matter what our odds told us. I mean every time I read to my stuffed animals they were so enthralled by my story telling skills they were literally speechless; I figured I was born to be a teacher (or maybe a librarian) You see what I mean, as a child nobody was going to tell me no or get me to believe that I couldn’t grow up to be anything that I wanted to be. I had it all, or so I thought (my dream of becoming a nurse ended shortly after I learned I was terrified of needles and being a nurse meant that you actually had to like doctors) So I realized some years later that not all dreams were realistic or practical; but that was the beauty of being a kid, you believed in your own magic. Today our lives our filled with critics telling us we’ll never be this or we will never achieve that, but that’s not the worst of it, we actually believe them. We allow others to take our dreams and literally smash them with the words cannot, will not, never will! Sometimes the worst critics are ourselves; we talk ourselves out of things all the time, things we know we can do but our inner critic tells us we can’t. It’s time to slam the door on all those non believers and walk head on into a room of your biggest fans; even if at first it’s just the reflection in the mirror. If you don’t believe in yourself who else will?
“Whatever you want in life, other people are going to want it too. Believe in yourself enough to accept the idea you have an equal right to it.” – Diane Sawyer

No comments: