Monday, September 12, 2011

Today Is: Find Stillness in the Chaos Day


"Seeing and knowing are vital to tapping into creative spriit... and they sometimes come from stillness, sometimes from aloneness, sometimes from seeing from a vastly different perspective." -- Patti Digh "Creative is a Verb"

This morning as I sipped my morning cup of jo, I sat and read, hoping to be inspired, gain wisdom and continue on to living fully into my dreams. Chapter after chapter, page after page, I sat there, reading with my mind but not intently with my heart. Sometimes that's what reading is intended for, to be able to lose yourself in something; but not this book. No this book I must have my creative feelers on and my best intuitive and imaginitive sneakers; for this book takes you places only if you're prepared. So as I continued reading I came to this story titled, 'Swing low big arcs' it discussed how so often our nature is to rush through everything (time is money afterall; or so they say). There I was counting how many more pages I had until the next chapter, totally missing the message. Then it hit me, I was doing exactly what the chapter was talking about but doing what they advised against. Just going through the motions just to check it off the list, it was like I was in a race against time. So I stopped. I regrouped with my mind and began to finish the story intentionally with my heart. "Be still. Stop moving. Create opportunities for stillness." It was at this moment that I became inspired, that my creativeness sparked and I felt compelled to write, and use my creativitiy to move me. Never rush past life, for time is all we have left.

"How much do we miss by going so fast, I wonder often; how much do we miss by worrying about arriving at the right destination rather than enjoying the view, so quickly passing by; how much do we miss by not stopping to dip into that life; the one in front of us instead of the one ahead of us, by not recognizing that the destination is really a horizon, not a boundary." -- Patti Digh "Creative is a Verb"

2 comments:

jdawk said...

I always find myself writing on the theme of time and how fast things seem to move. It is an interesting phenom just because it cannot be controled, it cannot be understood. I like "be still". I think we all need to remind ourselves that everyday if not a few times each day :) Truer words have never been spoken for "time is all we have left" indeed.

Unknown said...

It's true, we tend to think that we have all the time in the world for so many of the important things but can't seem to find enough time in the day for things that have no significance. Sometimes that moment of stillness opens up our hearts to really hear what it is we need to spend our time on. Thanks for following, and for your comments!