Friday, September 2, 2011

Today Is: Share in the Sweetness of Life Day


“A good cook knows that it’s not what is on the table that matters, it’s what is in the chairs.” – Leigh Standley

The delicious aroma of sweet luscious peaches fills the air. As I think about the sweet taste of peach pie my mouth begins to salivate. The room is overwhelmed with the heat from the oven and the scent of the pie as it bakes. As the timer dings, my mom struts over to her delicately baked goodness and pulls out her fresh creation. It smells fantastic and I’m ready to dive in, however the pie needs to cool and sit for a little bit before it’s ready to be enjoyed. So there I am, sitting alone, breathing in the scents of sweetness patiently (in reality not so patiently) waiting for that moment to cut into it’s golden brown crust. After several minutes of waiting I walk to the counter and begin to nibble ever so subtly at the edges, breaking off the crisper parts of the pie crust. I pick up the knife ready to carve in and just before my blade hits I stop! Although I am tempted, I realize that eating the pie by myself, having no one to talk to as we both indulge in this guilty pleasure, is unsatisfying for it’s not the pie itself that excites me but more so the company I am with while eating it. Sharing in life and love makes life that much sweeter

"Become aware of the wonder of common but extraordinary moments." -- Jill Badonsky The Awe-Manac A Daily Dose of Wonder

No comments: