Monday, September 19, 2011

Today Is: Angry About What? Day


“Learning to use anger is no easy task. Yet the alternative—letting anger use us—makes us prisoners of our own minds.” — Mark Epstein

"...wow, the beauty is in the cracks." "And once you start looking, you realize the cracks are everywhere." -- Rosie O'Donnell and Oprah Winfrey "O Magazine"

I have to laugh as I'm sitting in the lobby of my hotel in Austin and with each passing second I am becoming more and more irritated. I can feel my teeth clenching tighter as the seconds continue to slowly roll pass. When I arrived today, I checked in and just before the concierge hands me my room keys she stops and claims she is missing pertinent billing information for the pre-paid room. I look at her with my most sympathetic look, bow my head in defiance and make my way into the lobby. Instead of heading upstairs and relaxing in the comforts of my quiet room from the morning travel I'm stuck sitting here, waiting for the sacred fax to be sent over to confirm payment.

The irony to this entire situation comes from a message I received last night while at church. Gil, the pastor, was preaching about getting angry at the wrong times for all the wrong reasons. He said that so often we tend to be more concerned about (fill in the_________) than we are about the injustices in this world. After church ended, me and a couple girlfriends discussed these questions over dinner:

Do you get angry at the wrong times? (getting upset over petty needs)

Do you not get angry at the right times? (getting upset over the injustices in our world)

Without a seconds hesitation I said I could use some work in the getting angry at the wrong times category (I'd like to believe that I have a good grasp on getting angry at the right times, although there is always room for improvement.) I guess God heard me, because I am find myself, yet again, angry at the wrong time. So with that thought, I smile at the bartender, pull out a chair and order a drink. As the cold beer hits my lips I am able to enjoy both the sweet taste of relaxation and I find myself savoring the lesson. And as it turns out, beer is best served ice cold and is most enjoyed with a side of peace rather than drank warm and flat accompanied by an appetizer of anger. You're coming in loud and clear!

"Something within me wanted God to say... But God didn't say that. Instead he wrapped me in his love and washed me in peace." -- Mary Johnson "In Search of Sisterhood"

2 comments:

jdawk said...

I always do this--laugh when I feel I am mad for a reason not warranted. Although I sometimes worry if this is a weakness of sorts--if I should stand up for my worries, but every time I let go the waft of anger that arises in me and replace it with laughter because of my absurdity, I am showered with immediate peace. I think that, if nothing else, should be a reason to let go of the little things and make peace, even if it just is with yourself. I'm glad you ended up getting a beer, can't go wrong with that!

Unknown said...

You're right, laughter is the best remedy for everything. Angry, laugh it makes you feel better. Sad, laugh, it tends to make the moment that before wasn't funny at all funnier than you could have ever imagined! Thanks for your words of wisdom!