Thursday, January 5, 2012

Today Is... Don't Waste My Time Day




As he described the movie to me I was intrigued, “Instead of money you have time so you don’t spend your money you spend your time”. Say no more, the cogs in my head started turning and I began contemplating what I would be willing to “spend” my time on so I agreed to go see the film “In Time”. As I sat in the theater and stared up at the screen listening intently to this scene I found myself replaying the moment

Henry Hamilton: ’For a few to be immortal many must die.’

Will Salas: ‘What the hell is that supposed to mean?’

Henry Hamilton: ‘You really don’t know do you? Everyone can’t live forever, where would we put them? Why do you think there are time zones? Why do you think taxes and prices go up the same day in the ghetto? Cost of living keeps rising to make sure people keep dying. How else could there be men with a million years while most live day-to-day? The truth is, there’s more than enough. No one has to die before their time. If you had as much time as I have, what would you do with it?’

Will Salas: If I had all that time; I sure as hell wouldn’t waste it.’

Henry Hamilton: “If you had as much time as I have, what would you do with it?”

What a question? We’ve all heard people say, “If I had all the money in the world I would…” but have you ever thought about if that money was your time? Thinking about my money in this way, seems to make my time that much more valuable. If every purchase costs me days off my life I have to believe that I would not choose to live the way that I live life now. I am convinced that I would choose to live my life more deliberately, spending nothing on unnecessary purchases but on things that only added value to my priceless time. I can only imagine glancing down to see my eternal clock ticking seconds off my life everyday and not doing the things that I was made to live for. As I think about this I think to myself, this is how you should live your life right now. No day is promised to you and your eternal clock is ticking, taking precious seconds off your life at every moment; do not waste those sacred seconds for those seconds soon make up minutes, which turn into hours, that suddenly become days and before you know it years have passed and you are left wondering… where did the time go? So begin living today as if there is no tomorrow and do not waste any more of your precious time!

“The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.” – Henry David Thoreau

No comments: