Thursday, November 3, 2011

Today Is: Don't Want To Miss A Thing Day

“If you focus on what you left behind, you’ll never be able to look ahead.” – Ratatouille
“This is your opportunity to seize the moment and make something with your life.” – as told by Oprah
I met one of my dearest friends, Jessica, for lunch the other day at this cozy little grub hub called Gaia. The food was delicious and of course the company I was with was even better. We were nestled in the back corner, her sipping her hot cocoa and me drinking my skinny latte, discussing everything from the newest Ellen book (Seriously… I’m Kidding) to our Halloween costumes, to my upcoming adventure to Africa. We sat and talked for hours and I am so glad that we did; it was a much needed get-away from my newest day job, reading and physical therapy, and I needed some classic Jessica advice!
Jessica (aka Teeties a nickname with a long story that must be saved for a better time) has become a friend unlike others, she is someone with whom I had this connection with from the beginning, maybe it’s because we share a similar love for writing or maybe it’s because I admire her spunk and “This Is Me” attitude, or maybe it’s for reasons I’m unsure of, but I do know this, we were meant to be friends; the lifelong kind!  Shortly after we graduated college, Jess decided to embark on an adventure of her own when she moved across the globe to teach in Japan. She resided in the Asian hub for a year teaching English while learning about other aspects of the world. I unfortunately did not have the pleasure of knowing Jess on an intimate friendship level until she returned from her travels abroad and reunited with her close college friends with whom I had become quite acquainted; as I’ve said before, and will say again, I believe that everything happens for a reason and I know that God brought us together to be friends for a lifetime. She and I share many passions and we both have a great hunger for laughter; she is one of the funniest people I know, especially when she impersonates Linas Kleza (broccoli vodka! Ha ha ha… you have to be there!) Jessica is also someone whom I feel I can share my personal secrets with, including my greatest fears. So in her comforting presence I knew that I needed to share this thought, this fear, this ache that I have been feeling about my upcoming travels. “I worry about what I’m going to miss out on” I told her. Recently I had some good friends of mine, whom I met in college through my ex-boyfriend, finally tie the knot. I was invited to the wedding, planned to go and then due to my most recent knee surgery was not able to attend. I was crushed. I cannot explain the guilt that I felt that I had missed their wedding day. This is a “once in a lifetime” day (ok, well at least you plan to only do it once) and I wasn’t able to be there for it. I didn’t see her dress, or the way he looked at her as she waltzed down the aisle; I didn’t get to hear them exchange vows, say I do, or witness their first kiss as Mr. & Mrs. Ready. I failed to see their first dance as husband and wife, share in their wedding cake and wish them a lifetime of love and exuberant bliss in marriage. I was beginning to get this sinking feeling that this was just the beginning. Was I going to be missing out on “BIG” events like this while I was away? Life doesn’t stop for anyone at anytime; what will I miss, I wonder; will I look back with regret; I fear? “Although you are going to miss making memories here, just think about all the wonderful memories and experiences you are going to be making while you’re over there.” Jess reassured me. “Of course you’re going to miss out on things while you’re gone, but you’re going to be doing things that you would never have done if you were still here; you’ve got to think about it that way.” She said, and boy is she right. If I think about all the things that I could potentially miss doing, or seeing or being a part of, then I will miss the greatest adventure of my life. I will miss the whole reason behind why I’m going halfway around the globe; I’ll miss my purpose. I cannot look forward with fear nor later look back with regret, instead I must enjoy and relish in the opportunities that lie before me. The greatest gift is the present and I need to untie the ribbons and celebrate in the NOW!
Thank you buddy for reminding me of this! RexJ
“I know what I want in life, and I’m going after it. I’m not going to let things happen to me, I’m going to make things happen.” – Francine Rivers “Her Mother’s Hope”
“The purpose of life, after all , is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experiences.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
“…do not waste time on regrets, but to grasp opportunities.” – Francine Rivers “Her Daughter’s Dream”

No comments: