Saturday, November 5, 2011

Today Is: Domino Effect Day

“Every adversity becomes a catalyst for change.” – Bernie S. Siegel M.D. Daily Word

“When others see your light shining, they’ll be inspired to shine theirs too.” – Oprah

“Each piece… plays a small part. Its main job is to set off the next link in the chain… just like dominos, these pieces together set off a spectacular reaction.” And just like dominos we all have the capability to create a chain reaction that can result miraculously. This type of miracle happens through love, compassion, kindness and generosity.  As I sat across the table from him today, I listened intently as he spoke about his experience in Haiti. He told me of challenges that he faced and difficulties that he endured in his days there, yet as he spoke his eyes lit up and the passion seeped through his pores. I could feel the compassion and the love radiate from him. At times he would pause for reflection getting lost in his own thoughts, sometimes losing the thought entirely yet moments later he would begin again, telling me about the way the children would hold on to him with all they had, longing to be loved and to feel God’s love through him. As he spoke about his travels he told me that not all days were easy, he even mentioned when he first arrived he felt the children had no hope. “Did you still feel that at the end of the week?” I asked with devastation. “I realized I was being stupid,” he replied, “I was putting my own context of hope and happiness on them, from my experiences here in the United States, but I later came to realize that hope to them was different than hope to me.” Happiness didn’t mean they had to have ‘everything’ happiness to them meant having one thing… love! His attitude was infectious; he was brimming with so much joy I could feel it affecting me too and I soon was filled with excitement. As he thought about his time spent over there, I could sense his heart aching. He ensured me that although much of his trip was joyous, days endured difficulty; like I said, he had his challenges, but the more he talked, even about the struggles, the more I could see the fire that burned in him. With each memory he recalled, his face would brighten and his smile would spread and my heart would warm. Although he might not have felt the impact that he made while he was over there, I could feel the impact here. It wasn’t until I had gotten home and replayed some of our conversation in my mind that I realized this chain reaction; his domino effect. He may not know firsthand how he changed the lives of the children that he spent time with while in Haiti, but from our time today I can tell you that those children changed the life of this young man. Although he went overseas to give to them, (which he did) I could see that they had given so much life and love to him. Sometimes when we seek to help another, pouring love into their hearts, filling them with compassion, in return, love sneaks in the back door and settles in our hearts; sparking a fire inside that burns feverishly with passion; radiating God’s loving glow through our souls. And it is with this flame that we are able to light the way, pass the torch and feel the wave of our domino as it falls into another, resulting in yet another miracle.

“…a community where joy is a way of life, where learning is the highest aim, where love is the ultimate goal.” – excerpt from Patch Adams

“It may not be for me to see
The meaning and the mystery
Of all that God planned for me
Til’ afterward.”—Anon

“Changing just one person’s life can be a wonderful blessing.” – Blake Mycoskie “Start Something that Matters”

No comments: