Monday, May 14, 2012

Today Is: 25 in Change: Day 8

"If you don't like the world the way it is, change it -- one step at a time. Be prepared for how long change might take and how hard it will sometimes be."
-- Marian Wright Edelmen

"Look deeper into the actions you take and the truths you take for granted. Ask why and then ask why again." --Walter Mosley

Day 8 has come and I've been thinking a lot about the difference that we are making, wondering aside from the numbers of children that our supporters have helped feed, have we made a difference? Have I done all that I am capable of doing to ensure that none of the 25 advocates have to go hungry, in turn helping more children have access to food? What is it that I want people to know? That I am hungry or that there are millions of children all over the world, many here in our own country, that face starvation day in and day out? It's hard to remember that change is occurring when you cannot see the consequences first hand, but I believe that what the 25 advocates are doing and all of our supporters are pledging to do is making a difference, even if it takes time, I believe it will be worth the wait.
We are living in an era where waiting is a thing of the past. We expect answers as quickly as we asked them, or responses immediately after our invitations were sent. With such rapid technology allowing everything to be given almost as easily as hitting the Easy button, it seems that every aspect or our lives should be just as quick to respond and as easily maneuverable. However, time and time again, I am reminded that this is not the way that life works. Life seems to be on it's own time clock. Coming and going as it pleases, starting and ending with whomever it sees fit. Life stops for no one, and it never rushes to meet your schedule or follow your to-do lists. Life has it's own set of rules and it never seems to make exceptions. I must remind myself of this often, as I tend to dream big dreams believing that change is possible overnight, more often than not though I find myself waking up to the consistency of the day before and wondering, "What did I do wrong? How could I have failed?" Sometimes, the answers do come at me immediately, 'You didn't do anything to make that dream a reality", while other times, it seems that my dream and reality just weren't aligned leaving me with the dreaded feeling of failure. And this is where I must remember, life takes time and time isn't on my watch. Instead of letting the hand stop at failure, allow your mind and your soul to sit peacefully as those hands make their way around the clock to that time called opportunity. When it arrives, I hope you know, it's just on schedule.

"If you can't fly, run; if you can't run, walk; if you can't walk; crawl, but by all means keep moving." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

"God has called us to active duty. When we sense His prompting to help someone, we should be willing to say, 'I believe God wants me to help you.'"
-- Julie Ackerman Link

No comments: