Friday, May 11, 2012

Today Is: 25 in Change: Day 5






"Imagine what will happen if each of us decides to reach just a little bit higher, to try just a little bit harder, to care just a little bit more. That's the power of one." -- Gil Atkinson


"All of you reading these words have loved someone, have done someone a kindness, have healed a wound, have taken on a challenge, have created something beautiful, and have enjoyed breathing the air of existence. Every moment you make a difference." -- Random Acts of Kindness

Today is Day 5 of 25 and I want to take today to shout out to the other 24 advocates who are taking on hunger with me. As I continue to post, this has been a challenge, day two seeming to be the hardest for me so far, but I know that if it were not for my other 24 advocates I wouldn't have been able to make it to day 5. I know that sounds selfish, not able to give up food for all those who don't have food on a normal basis but it has been much more difficult than I would have figured for. I was preparing to be hungry, but I was obviously very naive as  I wasn't prepared to have the hunger pains or be painfully craving foods. Believe me, there have been moments of weakness that I have been more than tempted to eat a slice of cheese, chomp on an almond, or give in altogether and eat a slice of greasy, pepperoni topped, cheesy pizza, but each time I become overly tempted, I think of the all the wonderful people who have donated to the cause and walk alongside us as we fight for this cause. Each time I am tempted, I think of the children who have to fight for their lives on a daily basis as they make the fight against hunger, but the thing right now that has really kept me going is the other 24 people that I am on this journey with. Because of all of them, I have stuck to the rice and beans and will continue the fight, not only for the 20 more days but until we can find a way to make hunger a thing of history!

Check out my fellow advocates at  http://25inchange.org/advocates/

"I am a product of the beautiful people who have come into my life." -- RAF

"Endure what life dishes out. Learn all you can. Count your blessings. Never give up. Keep growing in the Lord." -- Francine Rivers Her Daughters Dream


"...So get out there and start inspiring people with who you are and how you live your life." -- unknown



No comments: