Thursday, May 24, 2012

Today Is: 25 in Change: Day 18



"Trials are not enemies of faith, but are opportunities to prove God's faithfulness." 
-- Mary Bevis & Nini Sieck

"God didn't promise days without pain
laughter without sorrow
sun without rain
But he did promise
strength for the day
comfort for the tears
and light for the way." -- unknown

"'Give us this day our daily bread'. 'Give us this day, our daily bread.' We're asking for our daily provision. I don't know that I've ever had to pray this because I've lived with so much for so much of my life. But think about that phrase, you're saying, 'God, give us this day our daily bread.' Just give me enough to get me through this day. The truth is, if God just gave us our daily bread, many of us would be angry. 'That's all you're gonna give me? You're just gonna give me enough to sustain me for today? What about tomorrow, or next year or 10, 20, 30 years from now? I wanna know that I'm set up. And Jesus says, just pray for your daily provisions."

As I  listened to this video of Franis Chan speaking on prayer, that moment spoke to me; it spoke to because over the past 17 days I've wondered, have we inspired others to become a part of this fight, and fight with us? Have we moved others to donate $25 to help feed 101 people? Will all 25 of us be provided with our daily bread? I think the part that really spoke to me though was when he said, "The truth is, if God just gave us our daily bread, many of us would be angry. 'That's all you're gonna give me? You're just gonna give me enough to sustain me for today? What about tomorrow..." This blew me away... I couldn't help but get emotional as I listened to this, over and over again, thinking about the pain and the anger that I have experienced over the past 17 days. Eating only enough food to sustain me has left me feeling empty on so many levels. My joy no longer remains, my eagerness to do things has evaded, and my passion to pursue my dreams seems to have gotten lost somewhere else in my mind; there's no more gas in the tank, I feel as if I've been running on empty, however each time I think that I can go on no longer; that I'm gonna stall on the side of the road and putter out, I am uplifted.  I am given much more than my daily bread, I am given guidance, encouragement, love and support from all my friends, all my family, and all the 25 in Change advocates. God has me right where he wanted me all along, finding myself empty and seeking Him and those who surround me to fill me back up and make me full again. What a wonderful lesson!


"God keeps his promise, and he will not allow you to be tested beyond your power to remain firm; at the same time you are put to the test, he will give you strength to endure it, and so provide you with a way out." -- 1 Corinthians 10


"He keeps me functioning each and every day. Without Him, I will be nothing. But, with Christ, He strengthens me." -- Philippians 4:13


No comments: