Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Today Is: Mirror Mirror On The Wall Day


"Become aware of the wonder of common but extraordinary moments."
-- Jill Badonsky "The Awe Manac"

As I stood before my bare body and stared into a mirror that bore it all; my imperfections, my slightly bigger curves, my unshaped stomach, and my untoned arms, I shared a moment of truth and shame. Truth because it made me humble; humble in ways only a mirror can do as you stare at your naked body. I was staring directly at imperfections and characteristics of myself I tend to hide or make up for in another form. This was a moment of truth because it showed me how I care for myself last. How everything comes before what's best for me; which in many cases is important but when I'm not taking care of myself, I can't take care of anyone else either.
This was also a moment of shame because instead of looking at myself and seeing the beauty of me, I could only notice the parts of myself that I cannot bring myself to see as beautiful, only flawed. After I know that true beauty resides in your heart not on your waist line, my first thought was; step away from the mirror, or just don't look again. What happened to that confident, strong, independent woman I once was? I want her back!!!

"I shut my eyes in order to see." -- Paul Gaugon

No comments: