Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Today Is: Memories of the Past Are Treasures of the Present Day


"Live an extraordinary life to ensure that when you die the people who are left have the feeling that with your passing the world has become a duller place." -- Patti Digh "Life is a Verb"

As I've been preparing to move, I've been diligently cleaning out all of my stuff that I've accumulated over the past 25 years. So much of what I had at one point deemed worthy of saving, I have now shoved into a trash bag ready to donate. There have been things that I've found however that have brought back memories and flooded my heart with emotion. As I went through a box of collectibles at my parents house I came across a necklace I had saved of my great grandmother, Na-Na's. Na-Na wore this necklace all of the time, I didn't know it then, but I do know it now, she was into fashion and she was always looking good. She wore great jewelry and always looked so stylish. At the time I saved this necklace because it was a way for me to remember her and her style, but all this time that necklace had been stored away in a box of collectibles that I didn't even remember that I had. I now have it included in my jewelry box and am reminded of the wonderfully amazing woman that she was. What a treasure it was to discover that necklace. The world truly became duller after my Na-Na passed as she had this light about her that could not only brighten a whole room but illuminate an entire house. She was remarkable. I love you Na-Na and I miss you dearly, but I can feel your love wrapped around me as I wear this necklace and each time I look down I am reminded of you.

"To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die." -- Thomas Cambell

No comments: