Sunday, October 9, 2011

Today Is: Thank You Is Not Enough Day

“A doctor’s mission should be not just to prevent death but to improve the quality of life. That’s why you treat a disease, you win, you lose. You treat a person, I guarantee you, you win, no matter what the outcome.” – excerpt from Patch Adams

“Let no one ever come to you without leaving better.” -- Mother Teresa



How are you ever able to repay someone who does so much? How can you ever give them what they have given you? How can you show your appreciation for someone who goes above and beyond always? The words thank you will never be enough for they cannot even begin to describe the gratitude and gratefulness that I have for my parents. My parents are and have always been wonderful to me, even though at times I might not have appreciated them like I should have. As I have gotten older I am not only able to appreciate them like I should, but now I understand them not only as my parents but as my friends. They have done more for me than I could ever expect and they have given me everything and more that I have always wanted. They’ve been there for me through my great times and they have been there for me through my toughest times too. I can only imagine what it must be like to have a child, since I have not been blessed with one of my own, and I can only imagine the great joy a parent must feel when they see their children living happy, purposeful lives, that are full of so much love and exuberant bliss; and I can only begin to think of the pain that they must feel when their child is suffering, or unhappy; from what I see from my own parents, to watch your own child suffer darn near breaks your heart. This knee surgery is without a doubt one of the toughest physical challenges I have ever been dealt and at times it can take its toll on you mentally as well, however the pain that I feel I believe is probably worse for my parents. Thankfully they are not the type to sit around and feel sorry for themselves; no they jump into action and look to make things better. My parents have been the best nurses that I could have ever asked for during this recovery process. I have joked with them about their nursing techniques; I gave my mom the name Nurse Lay Down the Law and my Pops was deemed, Nice Nurse, especially after he shaved my leg, however my mom didn’t seem to be embracing her name which is why I think my dad suddenly stepped up his lawfulness. All joking aside, it is because of my parents that I am having such a progressing recovery. Each morning, day and night, they fill my cooler with ice (but somehow always forget the beer) and they move my machines up and down the stairs and anywhere in between just to make sure that I am comfortable. They are truly one of a kind and I am so thankful for all that they have done for me. Although I may not ever be able to repay them for all the wonderful things they did for me over the years, I hope that I will one day be able to pay it forward and look back and say, “I owe this to my mom and dad!” Thanks for everything. I love you both so much; even if you are laying down the law!

“… So often I can’t repay the goodness I receive from others. But I can give myself to others, in whatever the day presents, just as others have given themselves to me. It’s like paying graciousness forward rather than paying it back.” – Jeff Japinga

“I believe that you can get everything in life you want it you will just help enough people get what they want.” – Zig Ziglar

“I could never adequately pay him back, so I just have to pay it forward.” – Randy Pausch “The Last Lecture”

No comments: