Saturday, October 8, 2011

Today Is: Blessed Beyond Belief Day

“Who else but a friend could know just what I need to hear to be inspired to discover the strength and faith I never before realized I had to celebrate with me in my triumphs, and to comfort me when I feel hurt.” – Colleen Zuck “Daily Word”

“Every human being has an impact on another…” – excerpt from Patch Adams






The waiting is over, the anxiety has calmed but the pain has found a nesting place for the long haul I’m afraid. Surgery is over, and that’s the good news. I made it out of the hospital without adding any accessories to my hospital gown this time and I’m leaving with much more than I came with, including a gnarly scar, two hopefully very durable pieces of hardware screwed into my shin and a small boutique of fresh flowers. My room looked like a miniature greenhouse thanks to all of my well wishers and loved ones who sent flowers, dropped off plants and stopped by to catch a sneak peak of “the beast”. (That’s how I’m guessing they might have referred to me during my stay) I am unable to put into the perfect words my amazement and sheer gratitude for all the love, support, prayers and comfort I received both before my surgery, and after. I am more than blessed with a loving family and very loving friends. I hope that you all know how much it meant to me to see the out pour of support through all of your texts, calls, flowers, books, cards, visits etc… Each of you made my recovery in the hospital that much better and definitely much prettier to look at! I am speechless (ok maybe wrong choice of words) but I hope you all know that I appreciate you all so very much and I know that thanks to all of you and your continued love, support and prayers I will be better in no time. According to my sister I told her shortly after I got out of surgery, “I’m gonna try and hit the town tonight; I’ll see if I can bust out of this joint.” Sounds like something I might say but I cannot remember clearly so until then… thank you for everything!

A special thanks to my mom and dad for all of their care before and immediately after and the beautiful bouquet, my Mi-Mi and Pop, for stopping by to show your love and support before I went under along with the books; I love to read, my sister and the best brother-in-law in the world for sending the beautiful bouquet of flowers and for adding unspeakable joy in a time of despair. Ash, Em and Jess for the coolest plant I’ve ever been given, a pepper plant; which my nurse told me was edible and the journal, you all know I’m a journal junkie! Thank you to Jess for also coming to visit me at the hospital, I’m so glad you saw me when you did; unfortunately I don’t remember much. A big thank you to the Kilker family and the Swanson family both, for all of your love and support and the amazing red basket of gorgeous flowers, I love you and I’m so grateful for you all and thanks to Gayle for coming by to visit too. My Uncle Ron and Lydia for dropping by to check up on me and the pink plant for support, my Aunt Joni for coming to say hello and offering to take me back into civilization when I’m up and ready for it, Erica for coming to visit me at the hospital and for her understanding when I told her I needed to turn off the lights and close my eyes “I’m still listening”. (or so that’s how I remembered it; come to find out, the lights were already off and I told her I was just going to rest my eyes… oops) Mucho gracias to Megan and Adam for their thoughtfulness and the lovely bouquet of flowers and well wishes, thank you to Debba, who works with my mom, for the lovely yellow plant and for thinking of me, thanks to Susan for the deliciously baked homemade cookies and her kindness. A very big thank you to Liz and John for the yummy granola, it’s almost gone, it’s that good, and of course for all of your love and kindness, and for Anna and Regan who came by to visit me at home. I cannot thank my girlfriends enough, Jess, Ash, Laura and Kendall for coming over to the house and spending some quality time with me as I laid on the couch and conversed with you all; it was so wonderful to not only hear your voices but to see your smiling faces, made me smile too. And thanks to both Kendall and Laura for the books and the movie. Laura gave me the new Ellen DeGeneres book, thinking I might need a good laugh to lighten my spirits, it was hilarious! Thanks for that; thank you too Ellen!!! Thank you to Colleen for coming to visit me too and for the book she gave me as well, I guess everyone knows I love to read, and thanks to Leprino for the beautiful flowers! And I cannot forget all those who have checked up on me over the days before and after surgery, your thoughtfulness and love means more than you will ever know. Emily and Richie, Gayle, Lili, Megs, Erica, Nico, Aunt Joni, Laur, Ken, Jess, Colie, Anna, Holly, Uncle John, Kelli, Brandon, Colleen, Mi-Mi and Pop Alicia, and Kaitlyn. Again I am more than blessed to have you all in my life and to have so much love and support to surround me as I begin my recovery. What a beautiful reminder you all are that with a little love and compassion we can change the world by making the load a little lighter and for reminding me that I do not have to walk this journey alone; I can see and feel you all walking alongside me, every step of the way! How blessed I am:)

P.S. One more thing, I must thank the wonderful staff at Lutheran Hospital, along with Dr. Shannon and his staff for their care and compassion to not only help me get better but to make my stay in the hospital feel more like a stay in a hotel! What the nurse staff did for me was nothing short of a miracle and I will forever be grateful; hopefully I’ll say the same about what Dr. Shannon did when this is all over!

“Share compassion, spread love. Let that become contagious. Let kindness flow through your blood and fill your heart with care and concern for all of mankind. Don’t be afraid to change the world!” – ACB

“Every day in every way I am getting better and better.” -- unknown

No comments: