Thursday, October 20, 2011

Today Is: Laughter is the Best Medicine Day

“The unselfish effort to bring cheer to others will be the beginning of a happier life for ourselves.” – Helen Keller

“Give me your laugh. Whether it’s mischievous, tender, loud, or quiet, simply give me a laugh from your heart. Your laughter brings me never-ending joy.” – Helmut Walch

In an effort to keep my spirits up after my surgery I was given the newest Ellen DeGeneres book titled, “Seriously… I’m Kidding” from one of my most dear friends, Laura. She told me that she figured I could use something to laugh about, and she was so right. As I read through that book I laughed often at the hilarious writing style that Ellen uses; seeking comedy to cure some of life’s most troubled ailments is nothing short of genius. There have been times in my recovery process that I have found myself sour about my current circumstances spending days upon end laying on the couch or propped up in my bed while getting my six hours of the CPM machine in is anything but funny. However, it is in these moments that I am reminded that I must seek the hilarity in my situation; I must find something to laugh at, even if it’s myself. Although this may seem like it could be a difficult task, poking fun at myself, it’s much easier than many of you may think (ha ha). Every day I am greeted with something that allows me a good hearty laugh, whether it’s trying to put my socks and shoes on by myself, or climbing in and out of the bathtub on one good leg, or even the times when I hurt myself doing something moronic, there is plenty of moments of laughter! They say that laughter is the best medicine, and I couldn’t agree more. With each laugh, or bad joke that I tell, something happens inside me. My mouth curves into a smile and I can feel my insides are smiling too, and with each laugh, I feel better.

Some may say I laugh too much, or maybe that I laugh at everything, I would probably have to agree. I tend to laugh at any opportunity that I can, and in almost everything I am able to find something funny with it. To some, this trait may seem faulty or fake, however to me; it’s how I take on the world. Laughter is what makes my world go round and my hope is that you, whoever you are dear reader, are able to find something funny today, even if it means laughing at yourself. Life is too short to be so serious, so why not jump on board the laugh-around and go for a hilarious ride; admission: Share with me in laughter!

(As I mentioned Ellen’s book was hilarious, so I thought I would share a few of my favorite parts that made me LOL!

How to Be a Supermodel

One: The Look
Always look like you’re angry at the universe for making you too pretty

Two: The Walk
Trot. Aggressively, like you’re a horse that’s trying to avoid puddles.

Five: The Pose
Be mysterious. Always pose with one hand in your pocket as if to say, “I’m so mysterious, this hand in my pocket could be a hook hand. You don’t know.”

Journal Entries
Dear Journal,
What an exciting day. Remember I told you about all that gold I mailed in for cash? Guess what! The money arrived today, I got $1.24!

My Bucket List
1. Buy more buckets
2. …
3. Wear more white
4. …
5. …
6. …
7. …
8. Call more people rascal
I won’t reveal any more of her hilarities but if you found any of that funny, you should go out and buy the book! It’s worth the comedic release!

“God pulls for us. He suffers with us. And you can bet that when we laugh, He laughs with us.” – Pam Kidd

“Laughter is an instant vacation.” – Milton Berle

“That is the best – to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.” – Gloria Vanderbilt

No comments: