Thursday, October 13, 2011

Today Is: I Don't Understand? Day


“Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less.” – Marie Curie

“Amidst adversity, remember that positive outcomes are easier to see with your head up.” – Christopher Novak

Stage 3 cancer… the “C” word… a word you never want to hear when associated with a loved one but unfortunately that is exactly what I heard today. She has stage 3 cancer, how could this be? I don’t understand? It’s not fair? Why? Why her? Why cancer? Why this family? Why now? Why ever? Why anyone? Cancer leaves me with a lot of questions and it always keeps me wondering and questioning my faith. If there is a God how could he let this happen to her, to this family; again? Why would a loving God allow them to suffer like this? I cannot understand it. Even though I am a firm believer in everything happens for a reason, I find myself now, questioning God and his reasoning on this. What good can come from this I wonder? My eyes turn toward the ceiling, my fists clinch in rage and I weep, demanding to know the answers to all of my questions, unsure that any answer will suffice. No answer, I fear, will settle my anger, calm my fears, or provide me with peace. No answer can wipe away the tears that stream down my cheeks, no answer can make this easier for anyone.

“Who said life was ever going to be easy?” “the voice” boldly says over my anger. “I didn’t promise anyone an easy or unaltered path. No! I promised that there would be challenges; that you would meet hard times and that life would knock you down; but I also promised that I would be there to lift you after you fall and I would provide you with the strength you needed to stand. I promised that I would give you nothing you couldn’t handle and that I would never leave you. I never promised that this journey was going to be without challenge, but I can promise you that through the darkness comes the light. And you may find yourself in the dark right now but may you never forget that I stand beside thee to guide you with my light. Be not afraid.”

Although my unanswered questions ring loudly in my ears, and my heart hurts with sadness I feel my faith grow stronger in this moment knowing that she and all those she loves and who love her are being held carefully in his hands and now is not the time to be afraid nor continue to question and turn your back to him. Instead now is the time to grow unbearably strong together and believe with all of your heart in the power of prayer.

“Here bring your wounded hearts, here tell your anguish; earth hath no sorrow that heaven cannot heal.” – Thomas Moore

“May God bless you with tears to shed for those who suffer from pain… so that you will reach out your hand to comfort them and change their pain into joy.” – A Franciscan Benediction

No comments: