Monday, October 10, 2011

Today Is: It's the SMALL Things In Life Day

“I’m always careful to see my glass half full because if I see my glass half empty, with no hope at all, it may as well be empty all the way.” – Mattie Stepanek

Today… What a day! After yesterday’s disastrous feelings of pain and uncomfortableness I was delighted when I woke up this morning (at 4 a.m.) to find myself feeling healthy and well. I could feel it early on that today was going to be a good day. (God must have heard my prayers) For starters I got out of the house and I felt the fall air as the warm rays of sun settled against my skin and the brisk October air breezed through my hair. It was great to get off the couch and out of the house (even if it meant that I had to go to the doctor’s office) The doctor’s visit turned out to be another joyous occasion; the doc said the incisions were looking good the screws they put in were straight and in place and the swelling was much less than the first time I had seen him before any of my surgeries (at which point my knee was close to the size of a cantaloupe); things were sure looking up! All that and then he told me I could remove my dressing, take off the thigh high nylon sleeve and take a shower (for someone who has been taking sponge baths for the past 12 days, some of which were given by my mother, the idea of showering is close to the excitement of Christmas morning) I turned to my mom as the doctor left the room and said, “It’s the small things in life.”
It’s true, at times in life, especially in times of struggle, it can become difficult to find joy among sorrow or happiness through the pain, however if you can celebrate the small victories and the little things in life that provide you with that joy, those small things suddenly begin to add up and you begin to find yourself in the midst of overwhelming happiness. Like they say, good things come in small packages!

“… to feel joy, we have to trust the moment and welcome it in its fullness for what it is. We have to be willing to acknowledge that we are often not in control – and to celebrate the good fortune in this. And we have to feel worthy of having joy in our lives.” – Oriah “The Invitation”

No comments: