Friday, March 16, 2012

Today Is... The Joke's on Me Day



"Don't wait for people to smile. Show them how." -- unknown

'tinate' the Bari word for 'thank you'

This March weather has been so wonderful that today I decided my transparent skin could use a little color so I got out for a short walk to enjoy the rays as they beat down on my whitened shell. As I was walking, I see this guy start running at me from across the street... I'm looking around thinking maybe he's charging to embrace his long lost lover but soon realize he is making a B-Line right for me. I can feel my palms get a little sweaty as I get a little nervous, unsure of his intentions. He stops me, totally out of breath, and asks "Do you have a lighter?" "Unfortunately I don't" I respond, trying to mask my fearful chuckle... "Sorry," I say as I begin to back away. He smiles and says, "You look... I mean... um... I really like your outfit." He stumbles over his words as if there were stones lining the inside of his throat. I smile, thank him, and quickly walk away trying to stifle my laughter, hoping to get as far away before he hears me laugh out loud . Did that guy just tell me he liked my outfit, I thought to myself? That's awesome:) There I was nervous that this man was going to chase me down to hurt me, but instead he did just the opposite, he had me grinning the rest of the walk back! Laughing at the hilarity of the whole scene, I find myself replaying thoughts just moments before. I had been begging God to give me something to smile about, seeing as work is making me pretty drab; and not only did He listen, He knew just how to deliver. Through comedic relief, God knows me so well and he loves me so much that He told me a joke in such a way that I could appreciate. I am grateful for this moment as it reminds me that even through the mundane, life is always good for a laughJ Looks like the jokes on me!

"If you're not making someone else's life better than you're wasting your time." -- Will Smith

"Be happy -- it's the taste that lingers." -- Mary Anne Radmacher

"Every so often do one small thing to enhance someone else's life." -- Regina Brett 'Be the Miracle'


No comments: